Yesterday Marc Liechtung, DMD, of Manhattan Dental Arts shared with us the foods that are sabotaging your attempt for a white smile. Today Marc Liechtung, DMD is sharing what foods we can eat to help brighten our smile!
12 Tooth-Whitening Foods
1. Apples and pears increase salivary production which flushes away stains over time.
2. Pineapple acts as a natural stain remover.
3. Carrots contain vitamin A which is needed for healthy tooth enamel.
4. Cauliflower and cucumbers also help to increase salivary production the natural way to flush away stains.
5. Green vegetables like broccoli, lettuce and spinach contains iron, which helps form an acid-resistant film or barrier that can protect the enamel on your teeth.
6. Shitake mushrooms help inhibit bacteria from growing in your mouth.
7. Onions help reduce bacteria that cause tooth decay.
8. Cheese is rich in protein, calcium and phosphorus, all of which can help safeguard the acids in your mouth.
9. Salmon provides calcium and vitamin D, nutrients needed for healthy bones and teeth.
10. Poppy and sesame seeds help scrub away plaque.
11. Ginger acts as an anti-inflammatory to support healthy mouth tissue.
12. Basil is a natural antibiotic that reduces bacteria in the mouth.